torstai 19. joulukuuta 2013

My first post

This blog is my attempt to I share what is going on in my mind about costume design. First I will try to make a short definition of costume design

Costume designer normally works with theater, film or dance performances with other designers and artists. Costume designer is not a fashion designer, even though sometimes the work may be have similarities to industrial design.

Costume designer is not the person who makes the costumes - well, in principle. In order to design, one needs to understand the pattern and the realization of the garment. These are more technical skill that require very much practice, all my love and respect to those who are really good with this. Great design always requires expertise of many people.

Costume designer is not a fashion stylist. Fashion trends have their place in the street and they need to be taken in consideration but the aim of costume is not to be trendy or flattering, if not so specifically intended. 

The costume comes alive on the stage. On stage there are things such as light, distance and action. Some actors can use any object as costume. On stage different rules apply. The costume is more than a piece of clothing. It is more than aesthetics. It is something that is used to express something - an emotion, mood, personality, gender, society, status... the same things we express with clothes every day, but in the context of the prevailing performance.

In my opinion, in short, costume design is about studying the culture, understanding and portraying the individual and creating worlds. So, this blog is a place to share my thoughts. I am fan of cinema, theater, fine art and history and I like to share stuff. Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti